Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Perception and Awareness

My boyfriend and I have bonded during our time together over our small discrepancies with the habits of society around us. This list begins with driving. I'm am extremely aware of my surroundings while I drive. I think if there was a competition of "which vehicle is best at four way stopping" I would win. It's an instant certainty of who was at that stop sign, when, down to the second. I had an instant today where I was at a four way stop. The person to my right arrived at the stop sign about two seconds after I did. By the laws of four way stops I should be allowed to go first. This person however did not accurately calculate the amount of time it took them to stop after my car did, and continued to drive before me. This is quite common and bothers me.
Scenerio number two that comes to mind was today at Kroger. To give a proper illustration of the entrance to this store, there is a main entrance that is exposed to the outside weather and two seperate entrances inside. Both of these seperate entrances tilt in toward each other, so I can see how people may get "confused" with which side they want to enter, despite the signs above them clearly stating which is which. Today my boyfriend and I entered through the "exit" sign with a cluster of people around us. I looked up at the sign that was too small and clearly not noticed by many. I looked over at my boyfriend and said "Does it bother you that we just entered through the exit sign?" He answered, "I try not to think about these things".
The third thing that comes to mind is something a bit more obvious in my everyday life. I'm a piano teacher and my job besides teaching music and technique, is to observe what my students have been working on to see if there are any noticable errors. A few times today I had a few students play rhythm incorrectly and they had absolutely no idea. They truely believed that the incorrect portion of their piece should sound exactly like how they had been playing it. So my perception of what was being heard compared to what was written in that situation was much different than theirs. Although sometimes how they play it is much more interesting than what is written and I hate having to point it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment