Monday, May 14, 2012

Overview of a Monday evening's class on the 14th of May according to Alex

During class today I was caught off guard by how many creative responses were displayed from the egg project. Not only were every one's response to this task unique, it also explained a lot about their personality. I believe this assignment was a great way for us to understand our classmates just a little better.

Some engaged in changing their egg into a piece of art, something completely different from what it started as. I found it entertaining that the man who can not stand the taste or smell of eggs, changed his into an air freshener (who would have thought?) and it didn't smell too bad either! Others went to google for answers, and found a unique way (through vinegar) to change the egg from it's original hard shelled form to a more soft state. This came as a surprise to me because I have absolutely no idea vinegar could do this to a shell of an egg. Some took a more logical approach and ate the egg, but even in this simple task of egg eating I was able to get a better idea of their personalities by how they cooked the egg, what extras they added for flavor, etc. One did a more selfless deed and used the egg as part of a recipe to bake his girlfriend cookies for their anniversary. I believe if I was going to use my egg in a cooking project, I would create egg shaped cookies (decorated of course) and bring them to class on an egg shaped platter, just for the humor of it all.

Some took a more blatant symbolic approach to the project. I can't remember her name, but the girl who is a fan of Harry Potter kept her egg as a symbol of uncleanliness, to remind her that it is OK. I hope she continues to have the egg for a long time and remembers why she has it. Another student used the egg as symbol of proof or lack thereof. He told a very convincing story of how he managed to trap the devil in the egg.

If I however had to choose one project that stuck out most today I would have to choose air freshener egg. Many of the projects were creative and insightful to the different personalities around me, but this project showed me (through an egg) that you can take something you absolutely distaste, and change it into something much more appealing (through a creative process). A lot of times through life, past present and future, we find ourselves in extremely unpleasant situations. This gave me more insight into what we can control if we allow ourselves to. From now on I will be giving more thought into the unpleasant situations I'm faced with, and I will find creative means if they're available, to change them into something tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment