Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fear pt. 2

After examining the situation I decided to change my assignment to fear of bugs. I thought it would be interesting to bring in some live bugs (the nasty kind) to see how people would react. My prediction beforehand is that some people would not mind at all while others may not be able to even hold the jar. I thought that some may even be opposed to me jarring up some bugs. 

This experiment sparked a long discussion over everyone's experience with all types of bugs. I believe there is a common fear of odd (not everyday) bugs such as centipedes, millipedes, etc. There were some amusing stories of how everyone has reacted to bug situations. Many tried to kill or trap. It'd odd how so many people have a fear of something so small.


My actual outcome was very similar to my hypothesis. Everyone in the room was able to hold the jar, some reluctantly and some with ease. One girl however scooted her chair back with disgust and absolutely would not touch the jar. 


One main thing that needed to be changed in this experiment is live bugs. My bugs were all put in one jar which was a mistake, and most were completely dead by the time class came around. Next time I'll leave some air holes at the top of the jar. Live bugs moving around freely would have more of an effect. 
Another thing I think I would change would be the bug selection. A friend of a friend owns a tarantula and I would have brought it in and maybe let it loose for a little bit, this may have caused a better reaction since there would be no glass separating bug from person. 


I believe the project I reacted to the strongest was the guy would have the tumor on his back. I have a case of hypochondria so I am constantly worried that there might be something wrong with me or I might get sick. This guy successfully battled a tumor and became cancer free. It's a real eye opener that these things can happen to anybody. I admire how he's handled the situation and I can see how this is his biggest fear. Situations like this make my fears seem so mundane. His fear is a lot closer to reality then others I have listened to and that's why it stuck out in my mind. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment